Years ago when I was messing around with Savage 340s and Stevens 25s I used a "barrel nut" wrench trick as those guns are not the same size nut as the full size Savage stuff. I would use a box end wrench that would just fit over the barrel nut, then take a brazing rod and cut into 2" sections and bend the end like an allen wrench, then insert 8 of the rods into the slots open and aligned with the nut and wrench, then proceed to cam as necessary. Works like a charm. Have also done the same thing with my MLII and other full size Savage rifles. No need for a "special tool" that cost $40+ that I would only use very infrequently. Just a way to do things when you don't have all the special tools that a real smith would have on hand. I also give barrel nuts and barrel action connections a good soak with my 50-50 ATF-acetone penetrating lube before such work and they come off pretty easy. An abused 700ML has been the only exception. These are my results and yours may be different. Hope all well. 10 ga
Post by 1coyotemaster on Mar 27, 2014 13:34:34 GMT -5
That's a neat trick! The first time I changed barrels on my Savage I had an old smith show me the ropes, he assured me he had the proper wrench for a smooth nut. Evidently his idea of proper wasn't the same as mine---he wound up putting a pipe wrench on it. After copious dressing I still use the same nut but have ground a couple of flats on it for a Crescent wrench....Well it works.
10ga: A good idea. Along the same lines of improvising. I could not use the barrel nut wrench on a scoped gun without taking off the scope. To avoid that I cut the wrench circular end, placed it on top of the other half and tacked it. It was double the thickness but a half circle. That way I could take the barrel nut loose and barrel off without removing the scope. I always like to see ideas like yours posted when we need to do something and one has to devise a "tool" that one cannot get off the store shelf.
I got to use the improvised barrel wrench , a 1 1/4 " boxed end wrench but I was only able to fit 4 splines in the wrench do to layout, I squared of segments of a few roofing nails and then I crazy glued them in place before a final wrap of masking tape. Fit like a glove. I also made a make shift vice out of some scrape maple hardwood pieces, lined up two 1"X2" pieces clamped them together and drilled a 1 in. hole with a forsner bit through the seam. I lined the hole with a piece of masking tape to help with slippage. I clamped the main portion of the wood jaws in a bench vice and C clamped the other side, a stiff whack with a 2X4 and mission accomplished.